Friday, October 23, 2015

creative writing. to be continued...

i push the door to the drug store open, and make my way to the cashier. I grimace at the unwashed floors and sticky counters. I am not used to places like these, i come from a wealthy family of bankers, i'm used to carpeted floors, grand hallways, spiraling staircases and beautiful high ceilings. to do what i'm about to do, no one i know can see me, none of my friends, no one from my neighborhood, and especially no one from my family. I place my hands on the counter, a woman, probably in her twenties looks up from her people magazine. She snaps her gum,
"Can i help you?" 
"Um yeah, can i have one of those?" i mumble pointing to the pink boxes behind her.
She takes it from the shelf and hands it to me. Answer, voted number one pregnancy test around the world, it reads in neon pink letters. 
"Do you have a restroom?" i ask. She hands me a key and tells me its down isle two. I walk fast down the isle, the box and the key held tightly in my hand. I reach the bathroom and put the key into the lock. I twist it and it opens, The bathroom smells like cheap air freshener trying to cover up the smell of pee. I flick on the light. I sit on the toilet my hands shaking as i open the box. I pull out the stick, and hold it underneath me, I pee and hold up the stick waiting. it seems like forever, but finally i see a little pink plus sign appear. pregnant, i am pregnant. i gasp for air, as a tight feeling in my chest rises up to my throat i turn around and throw up into the toilet. my eyes water, partly from the stench but also from the burning realization, and millions of questions swimming around in my head. i run my hands under the cool water of the faucet and splash some on my face. i take a deep breath and open the door, tossing the box and the stick in the small garbage can on the way out. i run down isle two, and throw a five onto the counter, the woman sees the look on my face and gives me a sympathetic look. i make my way to my silver bmw parked a few blocks away. once i am inside of the car, i let the tears fall down my cheeks, i pound my fists against the leather steering wheel. i was right, but i wish i was wrong, a month ago my boyfriend and i had hooked up one night and he had forgot protection, but we had continued to do it anyway. and then my period was two weeks late so i had to test my horrific theory but it was true. i am currently pregnant and im only seventeen. i am two weeks pregnant, i have a tiny human being inside of me. my hand moves to my stomach, and i spread my fingers wide over it, as if somehow i would get a sign that im going to be okay. but nothing happens, and for the third time today, and definently not the last my eyes sting and i choke on my sobs as they escape my throat, and all i do is slump forward resting my shaking body on the steering wheel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment